This article is part of a sequence of articles on troubleshooting missing data. If you arrived here directly, please start from the first article here.
Step 4(B): Server <> Device mismatch, or submissions not even in Send Finalized Forms on devices:
You are here because, in the previous step, you selected either "(B) The number of records in the exported CSV matches the number of records indicated next to the form title on the server..." or "(C) The number of submissions in the CSV matches the number of records indicated on the server. And the number of records indicated on the server matches the number of submissions uploaded from devices...."
(A) Check for incomplete submissions on the server. This help topic explains in detail what incomplete submissions are and how to include them in your data exports.
Do you see any incomplete submissions? Does following the steps in the above help topic and successfully exporting those submissions account for all submissions that were missing?
If no >>
(B) Where do you see the missing submissions on your device(s):
Those submissions just need to be selected and submitted to the server. They have not been submitted.
If you get an error message when you try to submit them, please note carefully what the error message says or take a screenshot and open a support request by clicking on My requests in the top right above.
If you are a community user and do not have access to our support team, carefully read and follow the steps in the error message. If you are still not able to resolve the issue, post the screenshot to the community forum to get help from other users.
Those forms have not been completed and so cannot be uploaded. Please resume those forms, complete and finalize them, then send them to the server via Send Finalized Form.
Please do the following:
- Go into Send Finalized Form.
- Then click the 3-dot menu icon in the top right and select Change View from the drop down.
- In the pop up that appears, choose to change view to Show Sent And Unsent Forms.
- Now, you will see all submissions finalized on that device appear in the Send Finalized Form list again. Toggle All and Send Selected. Do not worry about duplicates - the server is smart and will only accept those submissions from the list that are not already on the server.
Does doing the above change the record count on the server?
If no >> Do you now see any incomplete submissions indicated in the top bar of your server console? If so, follow step (A) above again.
If no >> Have you exported and inspected data for every individual record? If not, please do so to confirm that the uploaded surveys are not in fact already in your CSV data. Do not just look for a particular household or respondent ID. Sometimes, surveyors will enter those incorrectly. Look at other variables. Do you see any submissions that may not have the right household ID or name but look like they were done at the same time and by the same surveyor as the missing survey(s)? Are there any duplicate household IDs? Could any of those surveys be surveys done on the household you believe is unaccounted for?
If no >> Have you exported CSV data for other forms on your server? Please check those CSVs in case the records were done using a different form definition and are under a different form.
Issue still not resolved? Please open a support request by clicking on My requests in the top right above. If you are a free community user and do not have access to our support team, you can post a question in the community forum to get help from other users. Outline in detail what steps you have already followed so others can help you easily.
Have you inspected the devices yourself or are you relying on reports from remote fieldworkers? You need to inspect devices yourself - if not possible, please have your team send you the following screenshots from every device:
- A screenshot of the Send Finalized Form list.
- A screenshot of the Edit Saved Form list.
Do you see any of your missing submissions in those screenshots?
If no >> Please do the following on all your devices (even ones you do not believe were used for the missing surveys - trust us!):
- From the main screen of SurveyCTO Collect, click the 3-dot icon in the top right.
- From the drop down that appears, select Resume Crashed Form.
- Does the device indicate you have any crashed forms on the device? If so, please resume them, complete those surveys, finalize and submit them.
Did the above step account for all the missing submissions? If there were no crashed forms to resume or not all missing submissions found, please try the following on all your devices:
- From the main screen of Collect SurveyCTO, click the 3-dot icon in the top right.
- Select Admin Settings and, under the section USERS CAN ACCESS MAIN MENU ITEMS scroll down to Restore Data and check that option to make it visible.
- Hit the back button on your device to go back to the main screen of SurveyCTO Collect.
- Now again click the 3-dot icon in the top right.
- From the drop down that appears, you can now select Restore Data.
- Now, you will see all restored submissions on that device appear in the Send Finalized Form list again. Select all and hit send. Do not worry about duplicates - the server is smart and will only accept those submissions from the list that are not already on the server.
If you still have unaccounted for submissions >> How did you confirm that they were done in the first place?
- Surveyors reported surveys but you don’t see them anywhere.
- You don’t see them anywhere but have independently verified (e.g. by calling up respondents) that they were done.
If (1) please verify independently. Surveyor self-reported counts are highly unreliable as they often mis-estimate how many surveys they have done.
If you have independently verified that surveys were done and have followed all steps above but the issue persists, please create a support request by clicking the My requests link in the top right above. In your request outline:
- How you independently verified that the missing submissions were done.
- Exactly how many submissions are unaccounted for and whether there are patterns in the missing data (e.g. all of one surveyor’s surveys, or all surveys from a particular date?).
- How long ago the missing submissions were completed (e.g. “missing submissions were completed between 10 and 15 days ago” or “missing submissions were completed more than 30 days ago”).
- What steps from the trouble shooting guide you have already followed (so that we don’t ask you to re-do them!).
If you are a free community user and do not have access to our support team, you can post a question in the community forum to get help from other users. Outline the same details as above so that users can help you easily.
Do you have thoughts on this support article? We'd love to hear them! Feel free to fill out this feedback form.