To collect data, in both online and offline settings, you can use our SurveyCTO Collect mobile application.
In this example, we are showing Android, but the SurveyCTO Collect App is also available for iOS and the steps are similar.
These steps repeat the actions that were taken in the video above.
- Open the Play Store and search for SurveyCTO Collect or click here.
- Select the SurveyCTO Collect App and tap Install.
- Once SurveyCTO Collect has been installed, tap the SurveyCTO Collect icon to open.
- For each permission popup that appears, tap Allow.
- When you first open the SurveyCTO Collect App, the Welcome to SurveyCTO popup will appear. Run quick setup has already been selected. Tap OK and the quick setup screen will open.
- Enter your credentials
- Server name: The server name will be the URL to your server console, without the .surveycto.com.
- Username: Enter your username.
- Password: Enter your password.
- Tap Run quick setup.
- When the Success popup appears, you have successfully signed in. Tap OK.
- To download forms, tap Get Blank Form.
- The first time you open this menu, it may ask you to confirm your credentials, if it does simply tap OK.
- If no forms appear, tap Refresh.
- Tap the form(s) you would like to retrieve. Then tap Get Selected. The Download Result popup will appear when the forms have been successfully downloaded.
- Tap OK and you will be brought back to the main menu.
- To fill out a form, tap Fill Blank Form. Then tap the form you would like to fill out.
- Swipe from right to left to move to the next screen.
- Complete the fields as they appear.
- When the form has been filled out, on the last screen, tap Save Form and Exit. The form will be finalized and ready to be submitted to the server.
- To submit finalized forms to the server, first tap Send Finalized Form. Either tap to select individual forms or tap Toggle All to select all forms.
- Tap Send Selected.
When the Upload Results popup appears, it means the forms have been successfully submitted to the server. Your completed forms should now be available for monitoring and export.
Is there a SurveyCTO Collect app available for iphone/iOS?
Yes! You can download the SurveyCTO Collect app from the App Store.
Will SurveyCTO Collect work on older devices?
To operate fully, SurveyCTO requires Android version 4.4 or higher, or iOS version 11 or higher.
Are there any differences between using SurveyCTO Collect on Android vs. iOS?
Yes. SurveyCTO Collect was initially built for Android devices, so there are limitations to some features and functionality in the iOS app. You can view a complete list of these here.
Can I access different SurveyCTO servers from the Collect app on my device?
Yes, if you need to work with different SurveyCTO servers, you can use workspaces to easily switch back and forth between the servers and keep the forms separate.
What is the best device to use in conjunction with SurveyCTO’s Collect app for mobile data collection?
There are many factors to consider when choosing the device(s) that will perform best for your needs. We have compiled a list of some of these considerations here.
Why does SurveyCTO Collect request as many device permissions as it does?
SurveyCTO forms can collect a very wide range of data from your devices, including audiovisual data (image, audio, video), GPS locations, data about phone calls (if you're conducting CATI surveys), and device sensor statistics. However, SurveyCTO Collect only collects this data when you instruct it to, based on your form design and the actions a form user takes.
SurveyCTO Collect keeps on showing a pop up that requests a username and password — how do I fix this?
It sounds like you've incorrectly entered your username and password. Tap the three-dot menu in the upper-right of the app, open General Settings, and re-enter your credentials.
How do I secure the data my team is collecting using SurveyCTO Collect?
It is important for both security and functionality to keep the SurveyCTO Collect app up to date on all devices, however, we know this may interrupt fieldwork. Take a look at these best practices to keep your devices updated and working properly with the least amount of friction for your team in the field.
To learn more about device configuration check out our documentation on managing device settings.
Do you have thoughts on this support article? We'd love to hear them! Feel free to fill out this feedback form.